The present Cathedral of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary was built on the place of an older temple of “Theotokos” (Virgin Mary). The building of the new, three-aisled basilica that can be seen today (also known as Trimartyri) was completed in 1860. During the Ottoman Rule, the Cathedral of Chania turned into a soap factory. According to tradition, the soap-factory business failed and was abandoned, and the icon of Virgin Mary was taken by the last technician. The construction of the church was completed in 1860 in the style of a three aisle Basilica. The middle aisle is higher and covered by a pointed arch. The temple is closely connected to the historical events in the city and it was an asylum and shelter during war time and revolutions. It was severely damaged in May 1941 by the bombs dropped by the Germans.
Cathedral of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary Chania