The Monastery of Saint Stephen is a women’s monastery in Meteora. It is one of the six who continue to be active in Meteora, which since 1988 has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites. It is located at the southern tip of Meteora, above Kalabaka. The settlement of the monks on the cliff of St. Stephen began at the end of the 12th century, when in 1191/2, according to tradition, the ascetic Jeremiah founded the monastery. The construction of the monastery began in the 14th century, with the first founder Antonios Kantakouzenos, and was completed in the 16th century. The monastery is believed to have been restored underground in the 16th century by the monk Philotheos of Sklátaina. During his days, in 1545, the monastery became cruciform (until 1743). The monastery took its present form in 18th and 19th centuries. Since 1961, the women’s brotherhood has been established in the monastery. The monastery is connected to the modern road with a small bridge. The cells of the monastery are located on either side of the entrance. To the southeast of the enclosure is the old katholikon of the monastery, dating from the 15th century and renovated in the 16th century. It is a small one-room runway with a simple one. It has two phases of frescoes, the latter being made by Nikolaos Kastrinios. The new katholikon is located at the northwest of the enclosure and was built in 1798. It is a crucifix of the Athonite type, with a simple and portable. It was photographed in the 1980s by Vlassis Tsotsonis. Near the old katholikon there is the bank and the museum-vestibule.
Address & Contact