Address & Contact

Our Address

Museum of Dionysios Solomos and Eminent Zakynthian


The first thought about the creation of the Museum of Dionysios Solomos and Eminent Zakynthians is recorded in 1903, when ASPASIA SORDINA RIEGLER donated the manuscripts of the national poet for the foundation of a relevant Museum, on the occasion of the centenary celebrating its birth. But the building of the present museum was built after the earthquakes of 1953. Its creation and his existence is owned to private donations. The museum keeps numerous heritages of the history and culture of Zakynthos, from various donations of private and competent agencies, and has been operating since 24 August 1966. In 1992, the work of expanding the museum began in the architectural plans of Professor Dionysis Ziva, funded by the Community programs and sponsorships of the Stavros S. Niarchos, Panagiotis and Efi Michelis, John Costopoulos and “Kostas Heaven”. In the ground floor the graves of Dionisios Solomos and Andrea Kalvos exist. In the upper floor personal objects and documents of D. Solomos and A.Kalvos, G. Xenopoulos of A.Romas and of other remarkable Zakynthians, are exhibited. The visitor also has the opportunity to see paintings of the 18th and 19th century as well as various ceramics and sculptures of that time. The museum is located in St. Mark’s Square. The museum is open all days of the week from 9 am Until 2 pm


Leave a Review

Only registered users can add a review