The New Fortress of Corfu or Fortezza Nuova is a Venetian fortress built on the hill of St. Mark in Corfu in stages. It was built by the Venetians during the 16th century in order to fortify the defense because the Old Fortress was no longer enough and this is why it has remained known with the Italian name Fortezza Nuova. The original architect of the fort was the military engineer Ferrante Vitelli. The current buildings which exist within the fortress were built by the British during their rule of the island (1815–63).
In 1923 the New fortress was bombarded by the Italian Air Force during the Corfu Incident. Greek refugees from Asia Minor were sheltered inside the New Fort at the time but there were no casualties. The Royal Gate of the New Fortress is decorated with the emblem of the Republic of Venice, the winged Lion of St. Mark, a true work of art. The old emplacements, the ammunition depots, the water reservoirs and the underground galleries of the New Fortress are so well-maintained that they give you a very clear picture of the defense methods of the Venetians. At the top of the castle there is a stone building which was used for defence and a brick building which in modern times functions as the headquarters of the Naval Station of Corfu.