Address & Contact

Our Address

37.288750, 22.687778

The Holy Monastery of Timios Prodromos of Arkadia is a historic monastery built 30 km west of Astros and within walking distance of the villages of Kastri and Perdikavrisi. It is considered one of the most ancient monasteries of Kynouria. The Monastery of Timios Prodromos is built on a rock, above the canyon of the Tanu River. The Monastery of Timios Prodromos of Arcadia was founded, according to tradition, in the 8th century. There, it may have been during the ancient times, the altar and cave of the god Panas, which Pausanias saw on the left side of the road connecting Ancient Tegea with Lacedaemon. From a later inscription at the entrance of the monastery, its historical presence begins in 1126. During the Revolution of 1821, because of its inaccessible position, the monastery served as a base against the Turks as a military hospital, but also as a refuge for the civilian population. In May 1821, the monks actively participated in the battles of the Dolian and the Verbena. In 1826, Ibrahim Pasha besieged the monastery twice, without effect. The monastery of Prodromos was a parish church and was part of the Metropolis of Argos and Nafplion. Today the monastery is male and belongs to the Metropolis of Mantineia and Kynouria. It has two metropolises: Saint Charalampos at Stolos and the ruined church of Agios Nikolaos in Perdikavrisi. The monastery now lists 4 monks. It celebrates on September 6th, nine days after the feast of Prodromos and on the 14th of September the Holy Rood.

Video by: Περπατώντας στην Ελλάδα


Leave a Review

Only registered users can add a review