Panagia Portaitissa church is located in the center of Astypalea island near the Venetian castle. At first a monastery began to be built in 1760 by St. Anthimos.
According to the tradition, Saint Anthimos during the building, went to Mount Athos to illustrate the pictures of the church. He informed his hagiographer to create a copy of Panagia Portaitissa. Although, he failed to complete it. Saint Anthimos placed the copy on the other image and prayed all night. The next morning they saw the copy completed. When he returned to Astypalea, the inhabitants of the island judged him unfairly. He left to get the picture with him. Three times he tried to clean it up and all three failed.