Address & Contact

Our Address

Άνω Σύρος 841 00

The Cathedral of the Catholics in Syros, Saint George, dominates the highest point on the hill of Ano Syros. It was built around 1200 and has since received many renovations. In 1617 it was completely destroyed by the Turks and was restored for the last time in 1834, on a plan of the Khinizimos architect of Tchinas, elongated to the west and laying bases in the 10 old columns. The three-story bell tower was completed in 1855, but it later had to be rebuilt, as it suffered serious lightning damage. Saint George is a three-aisled basilica with two rows of marble columns. The most impressive points of its interior are the marble floor of the Tenius sculptor, the wood-carved lining and the statues of the saints at the entrance of Italian sculptors of the 18th century. The icon of Saint George, the icon of the Virgin of Hope, as well as the portrait of Bishop Andreas Karga, hanged by the Turks together with his secretary, are kept inside. The complex includes the temple, the Bell Tower, the Baptistery, the Sacramento, the Hospitality Hall, the Historical Archive building, the episcopal palace, the ruined house and the surrounding area.


Leave a Review

Only registered users can add a review