The patron saint of Ermoupolis is within walking distance of Miaouli square in the center of the city and is one of the most important sights of the island. It was founded in 1848 with plans by G. Metaxas and was inaugurated in 1870. It is also known as Saint Nikolas the “rich” to stand out from Saint Nikolaos of the Poor of Ano Syros. The imposing proportions, the towering marble bell towers, the 4 meter marble staircase leading to the entrance, the marble propels with four Ionic-style columns and the decoration with the Archaic motifs give Saint Nikolaos a monumental ancient Greek character. The icon of Saint Nikolaos was silver-plated in Moscow in 1852. The marble iconostasis was created during the period 1883-1899 by Tinos marble sculptor Georgios Vitalis and is considered one of the most beautiful 19th-century icons.
Address & Contact
Λαδόπουλου, Ερμούπολη 841 00